Sunday, February 26, 2006

A truly divine experience

This morning [Sunday] was amazing. I wish Christina had been with me, but - alas - I was by myself this morning.

At 5:30am I woke up, got some fresh coffee, and sat down to read a few pages from John Stott's "Cross of Christ". At 6am I loaded the surfboard on top of my car and headed west. I drove for 30 minutes through what I consider to be some of the most beautiful countryside in all of San Diego: the Del Dios Highway through the mountains surrounding Lake Hodges. A winding two lane road, the Del Dios Highway cuts over the mountains to the east of Rancho Santa Fe that separate Escondido from the coast. Nestled within is the man-made Lake Hodges. As I drive to the west, I look over my left shoulder to see the reds, pinks, purples, and blues of the rising sun over the steep purple mountains and the cool, calm lake.

By 6:45am I find myself standing atop a cliff, overlooking the Pacific. Waves are slowly rolling in and crashing against the shore. Only a few people are around and the air is calm and quiet. (Selfishly, I consider how glad I am that the world sleeps in on Sunday mornings.) Board in hand, I begin to walk down the cliff to the beach. I set into the water for a cool surf in the deep blue Pacific. The waves were few and fairly rhythmic; this is not a good day to surf. As I lay atop my board facing west, watching and waiting for the next break, I can't help but take in the sounds of the ocean and the Sunday morning calm; the smell of the fresh sea air; the rejuvenating touch of the crisp Pacific water; and the sight of the reds, pinks, and purples reflecting off the ripples from the sunrise over my shoulder. It was simply rejuvenating and invigorating all at once.

And, when I thought it couldn't get any better, a school of dolphins emerged from amidst the colors just to my left. They were lazily swimming up the coast to the north, content to take their time. As I watch them, a swell rises out of the ocean towards me. I think about turning to catch the approaching wave when I realize that it's taken; a dolphin is in the swell, riding the wave towards the shore. I'm in a picture. I'm living in a post card.

After climbing the cliff and getting some fresh coffee from a little cafe, people sitting around reading the paper and eating breakfast in the cool, crisp morning air, I realize that I didn't catch a single wave. I'm not a good surfer, having only been out in the water three times thus far. But I didn't even care. I was having a blast taking in the creations of God and the wonders around me. Why am I so blessed to live here, to be doing this?

The drive back was no less spectacular than the drive to the beach earlier in the morning. All I can think about is how wonderful this is. And I remember what CJ said a few years ago: "All gifts FROM God, are intended to turn our attention TO God, and create fresh affection FOR God." I'm so grateful to the giver of these gifts this morning...

No comments: