Friday, September 07, 2007

Mussels from Brussels...

Mmmmm! So good. I have never had mussels before, but a friend in Koln suggested that there are no better mussles than the mussels in Belgium, so... I tried them this evening. To my surprise, they are quite good!

So, I-LOVE-BELGIUM. Was that clear...? Let me reiterate: I L-O-V-E Belgium. It's absolutely beautiful (ok, I'm in Ghent... Brussels was a little dumpy, but that was lso my view from the train. I'm sure the area near the tracks is never too nice.) Anyway, Ghent is gorgeous. And of course, the beer here is the best in the world. I had an 11% beer that was out-of-this world with my dinner, followed (at a different pub/tavern) by a Kwak beer that was VERY good too. What was unique with the Kwak is that it is only served in a 1.2 liter glass (about as tall as my forearm is long) and they require you to give up a shoe when you buy it! This is their insurance policy that you will return the special glass. And, they don't just keep the shoe behind the counter... they take it and place it in a basket that is hoisted to the ceiling by a rope! So, my shoe started things and was soon joined by about 7 others.

Here are two pictures from this evening. My camera batteries died early in the evening, so there aren't many. The guy next to me at the pub also took some pics which he said he'd email to me tomorrow, since my camera was dead. As long as he holds up his end of the deal, I'll post those, too.

G'night!


1 comment:

Ben Bryant said...

I once knew I guy in Ghent
his shoe was hoisted up
he lifted his cup
And that's as far as it went